Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes
- 6-8 Pancakes
- 1 ⅓ cup Almond Milk
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 2 cups Arrowhead Mills Spelt Flour (or All Purpose)
- 4 teaspoons Poppy Seeds
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- zest of 4 small Lemons, about 2-3 tablespoons
- ¼ cup pure Maple Syrup, Sugar, or other sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup melted Butter or Oil, plus extra for griddle
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract, optional
- 3 cups Frozen Blueberries
- ¾ cup Orange Juice
- ¼ cup Pure Maple Syrup, or more to taste
- ½ – 1 tablespoons Arrowhead Mills Tapioca Flour
- Place lemon juice and milk together into a glass measuring cup or bowl and let sit while you prepare the pancake batter. Milk may curdle, but that’s fine.
- Into a large bowl, mix together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest until well combined. Add sweetener, melted butter/oil, egg, vanilla, and milk/lemon juice mixture. Stir just until incorporated—don’t over mix. Depending on the flour you use, a splash more milk may be needed if the batter is too thick. Let batter rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Place a griddle or large pan on the stove over medium heat. Melt extra butter or oil in the pan to keep the pancakes from sticking.
- When the pan is hot, scoop batter onto griddle leaving 1-2 inches between pancakes. Flip when edges are set. Makes about 6-8 pancakes.
- Place 2 cups of blueberries into a large saucepan and stir in orange juice and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and add tapioca flour. Use less tapioca flour for a thinner sauce, more for thicker sauce.
- Continue to stir until sauce has thickened. Add more sweetener, if needed. Can also add more orange juice or water, if mixture gets too thick. Serve sauce warm over pancakes.