Cookie Christmas Tree
- 5 – 6 ½ cups Arrowhead Mills Organic Spelt Flour
- ½ cup Ground Flaxseed
- 1 cup Coconut Sugar (or Brown Sugar if it’s all you’ve got)
- 1 ¼ cups Molasses (look for unsulphured varieties)
- 1 ½ tablespoons Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips or Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
- Optional: Slivered Almonds, Candy or Dried Fruit, and a little extra Chocolate for decorating
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Whisk together coconut oil, coconut sugar, eggs and molasses.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 5 cups of flour and dry ingredients
- Combine wet with dry, and mix well. Knead in more flour by hand if the dough is too sticky.
- Sandwich a tennis ball sized amount of dough between two pieces of parchment paper, and roll it out about ¼” thick.
- Use your cookie cutters, and then transfer the parchment to a cookie sheet. Repeat this step until you have 2 cookies of each size.
- Bake for 5-15 minutes depending on the size of the cookie.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Feel free to add 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil if the chocolate is very thick.
- Place some melted chocolate on a cake board, and then place one cookie.
- Layer chocolate and cookies.
- We put chocolate and slivered almonds on the corners of all the cookies but you can decorate how you’d like!