Brown Rice Pilaf with Hazelnuts
Not your mother’s brown rice.
- 1½ Tablespoons safflower Margarine
- 3 large mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ Cup Arrowhead Mills Long Grain Brown Rice
- 3 Tablespoons (2 ounces) coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 1¼ Cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushroom liquid evaporates, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and nuts, and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth and thyme.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add lemon peel and fluff the rice with a fork before serving.